This is a super quick but super portable soup, perfect for camping. The entire thing can be made ahead of time and vacuum sealed (and frozen too, if desired) for the trip. This is particularly low in calories, and adapts well to special diets with the addition of a vegetarian or vegan chorizo substitute. It's also a terrific way to use up the last basil left in your garden!
1 lb dried beans (cheap 16-bean mixes work great!)
12 oz good quality chorizo sausage, sliced or crumbled
2 large handfuls fresh basil, roughly chopped
1 large ham hock or 2 small ones
1 large yellow onion, diced
Feta and fresh basil to garnish
Salt and pepper
- Prepare beans by soaking overnight OR boil for 2 minutes, turn off heat, and let sit for an hour.
- Add all remaining ingredients and cover with water.
- Bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer 2 hours or until beans are cooked but still a bit firm.
- Remove ham hocks and pull off meat; place meat back in soup and discard bones, skin and fat.
- Salt and pepper to taste; garnish with crumbled feta and fresh basil.