1/2 cup packed basil leaves
1 cup sea salt or coarse kosher salt
- Tear basil into 3/4 inch pieces. Don't discard the stems!
- Place basil and salt in a blender OR use an immersion blender, if desired.
- Process until completely mixed.
- Spread mixture on a silpat or parchment-lined baking sheet, cover with a clean towel, and place in a cool, dry spot for 24-48 hours.
- When the mixture feels dry and has lightened to a mint green color, it's ready! Break it up with your fingers - no need to re-blend it to break up the chunks.
- Place in a tightly sealed container and use within six months.
- If it clumps, that's ok! There is silicone dioxide or other anti-clumping agents in grocery store table salt; simply rub the salt between your fingers to break up any clumps before using.